Sunday, March 02, 2008

Pittsburgh

While in L.A. this weekend, and with the news on the passing of our beloved gravely voiced Myron Cope, I found myself in many conversations about my hometown of Pittsburgh. Most of those conversations involve defending it. I can see how those outside of Pittsburgh don't quite get it. It's got a reputation as being gray, cold, poor, and often harsh. Some of those are pretty accurate. But if you spend any good length of time in Pittsburgh you start to see the many fantastic things that get overshadowed by the weather.

Carl Kurlander is one of the many seeking to change that with his film My Tale of Two Cities. Kurlander is best known for his work as screenwriter (St. Elmo's Fire) and producer (Saved by the Bell.) He is currently a lecturer at the University of Pittsburgh.

I encourage you to check out the film's site, which includes some great video clips, including groups of Pittsburghers which have migrated to L.A. and New York, singing "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood." The film features interviews with Franco Harris, Mr. Rogers wife, Mr. Mcfeely, the late Bob O'Conner, and more.

While I've never been successful in convincing anyone to Pittsburgh's merit, this film will hopefully illustrate some of lesser known aspects of this fine, gray, cold city. Also, I've been to Chicago. It's colder.

No comments: